Sunday, December 6, 2009

building it

Suddenly it is December. I've been feeling a little bummed out this week, mostly due to catching a cold, my Nobel Peace Prize Winning President announcing more troops, and finding out that the other volunteer that was supposed to start with me at the clinic backed out, leaving me flying solo. It snowed here yesterday, and while today was sunny, some slush and ice still remains. It's hard for me to not want to fall right down into being an ungrateful hermit in such conditions, especially in a relatively new city with few friends to convince me otherwise. So here are a list of good things from the first week of this wintry month.

1. I got my food stamps card.
2. I purchased food with my food stamps card.
3. I got a locker and a key to the break room at work.
4. My coworkers have started calling me "Em" ... a sure fire sign that they want to keep me around, right?
5. I have been taken on lunchtime adventures to the third floor of our building and to the Safeway grocery store down the street. Upstairs there is a woman with a few crock pots who sells homemade soup for $1.25!
6. I made at least two new, delicious vegan dishes for myself, further comforting me that food doesn't have to not be real darned tasty to also be animal-free. And I shared!
7. I drove with Sveta to Richmond to visit Kelsey and her family. We attended a large Christmas bazaar and spent plenty of QT together. I started my Christmas shopping, too.
8. I went to a cute Christmas soiree at Rachael's new apartment with my new and old roomies in attendance.

Hard times and funky living can season the soul, true enough, but joy is the yeast that makes it rise. I didn't say that, it's from a Tom Robbins book. He seems like he might be a big creep in real life, but writes things that give me confidence in my overall optimism. Here's to another week of bricks and mortar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers