Thursday, December 10, 2009

New friends, new opportunities, new.

There are a lot of things missing from my current experience in D.C. when I compare it to the few months I spent here earlier in the year. Specifically, the people I felt closest to when I lived here before are all now out of the area. I'm also struggling to feel like I believe in what I'm doing as strongly as I did at the Enough Project. I mean, it's weird to say out loud, but genocide (or, anti-genocide) is my thing. It's my raison d'etre. In the narrowest sense, with the larger context being that I just want to help people. But so does everyone else, right?

Anyway, I digress. Obviously I didn't have it all when I lived here before, right? Right. I missed very much being around the creative types that I cling to in Bloomington. I mean, throughout college my boyfriend was an art major/musician, as were many of the people I hung around with. In College House #1 I lived with two artist/musicians, and in College House #2 I lived with two BFA majors (graphic design and painting). I feel like I get my creative outlet by being around, appreciating and supporting the things others are doing pretty consistently.

So tonight I'm going to work on gaining that this time. I'm going to a launch party/art opening associated with this blog/website I've been keeping up with. Thankfully I convinced my roommate Cat to come and her boyfriend will be joining us. I'm looking forward to it.

The other good news is that yesterday I had an all-day training with the other kids in my program and while the training was a little tedious, we hung out afterwards and I felt like I bonded with some of them. It's nice to make friends, you know? I think the only thing I would have done differently is not talk so much about how much I adored Bread for the City. I may have made the kids that volunteer there a little uncomfortable with how much I knew about Bread. But what can I say! It's an admirable place.

In equally exciting news, I signed up to start meeting with a refugee family for a few hours a week to help them with their English starting in January. I don't know who they are or where they live or what their native tongue is yet, but I'll be doing it through the International Rescue Committee. My orientation is next month. Hurray!

2 comments:

  1. These reflections strike me as pretty beautiful. As a fellow adjuster to a new city/new job/new life, I feel so many criss-crossing feelings as I navigate all the new...I like how you have special eyes for the joy out there and welcome it into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily!

    While I didn't return to DC, I returned to Athens, where most of my friends had left. I plugged myself into new activities and organizations the past 6 months, which I have loved, but I have also struggled because it hasn't been the same experience as my previous years here; however, the new people in my life, and the knowledge gained from them and the things in which I've been involved have been equally as incredible as the last. My point is that I can empathize somewhat and that you are a strong, versatile, intensely loving individual, and things will get better! It won't be the same experience you had, but it will be an awesome one nonetheless! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I feel like we have a lot in common, and I enjoy reading about what's going on with you. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete

Followers