Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On a different note...


Tonight I went to see J. Tillman (of Fleet Foxes <- go watch their "From the Basement" session) at the 9:30 Club in the U Street area. I hadn't quite decided if I wanted to spend the skrill to see someone I didn't already know I adored, so I followed Mike's advice and looked up the opening band to see if they might influence my addition. (I should mention that Mike's the one who introduced me to J. Tillman in the first place too. Thanks, MDB.) Pearly Gate Music is that of Zach Tillman, Josh's younger (I assume) brother. In addition to digging both their tunes, I felt like I could bet behind a bro tour, so I went. And woah Lordy, I was not disappointed! I think I was struck most by how amiable the guy was. He was humble and grateful and provided short, delightful banter in between each gorgeous song. Listen, I'm no music critic. They nailed it. If you have the chance to go see either of those talented Tillmans, do it.

This was an early show, so I got home at a reasonable hour to discover that my cousin and his wife and their baby-to-be have started a blog. I cannot express how much I love this. The newest addition to my dad's side of the family, in progression, can be witnessed here: http://www.mattjenniferroberts.blogspot.com/

I should tell you that to make it a little more worth my dollars, I took down one of the show posters on the wall in the club. I don't have room for it on my wall (thanks to Tara's lovely drawings and Katie Wolt's glorious postcards, among other things) but I like it a lot. I think before I become a full-fledged fan, I'm going to have to check out this Daytrotter SXSW session.

No, I don't work for this guy, but I kind of wish I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers