Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Here goes.

This morning I visited D.C.'s own Bread for the City to attend a training session regarding working in a primary care clinic. I fell in love with Bread the moment I walked up to it. I tend to do this, fall for people and things before really getting to know them, but I digress. On the front of the building, above their name and logo, are three words of which I can only remember the two that stole my heart. Dignity. Respect. It didn't take long for me to be convinced that these two words aren't just on the face and the mission statement of this organization. Seriously, check out their services. I mean, a Human Rights Clinic? Be still my heart.

Last night one of my roommates and I were discussing the world's problems (as you do when you're a young idealist yet to have your dreams crushed by Adult Land, amirite?) and how interconnected they are. Becky and I have always joked about how if you began any International Studies paper, "In an increasingly interconnected world..." you'd ace it, but, I mean, it is! Anyway, I feel like on a macro level, it is totally true that our environmental problems are directly linked to food is directly linked to poverty is directly linked to health care access, etc. etc. etc... How similarly a holistic approach is needed on a micro- (or, city-) level to even begin to solve the problems. If a person is seeking assistance on getting food to feed their family, they almost definitely need medical assistance. They may also need some new shoes for their ever-growing children. They may also need someone to help them push their landlord to stop taking advantage of them through legal means. Hell, they may also need some assistance in navigating their asylum seeking process -- BREAD OFFERS ALL THESE SERVICES IN ONE (VERY SMALL) LOCATION! Talk about social capital. It's impressive.

No, I don't work for these people. But I want to.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad at the least that the world is interconnected enough for me read to be able to read your blog all the way from the frozen tundra of northern Indiana.


    Love,


    Becky

    ReplyDelete

Followers