Thursday, May 20, 2010

A May Update!

So it’s been a while. Things on my end are a little bit crazy, but for the most part they are crazy in a good way. The best news is that I’m being transferred from my current site (which has only gotten worse over the last few weeks/months) to a new site where I will hopefully be a little more useful and can gain some organizing skills. I’m really hoping that the second half of my service year can be a much more positive experience for me and that I can actually make a difference in the DC community. No matter what happens, I’m positive that it will be a better deal.
As far as my house goes, we are all still loving each other a lot, but the dynamics are about to be switched up a lot in the next two months. This past weekend Walker (Sveta’s bf) came for a 2 ½ week visit. Yesterday Cat left for a 10-day retreat and when she gets back she’ll only be staying for about 12 hours before going on a month-long road trip across the country with a friend (jealousssss). Tomorrow Toby’s parents and brother are visiting from Germany and staying with us, his parents in the basement and his brother in his room. They are staying for about two weeks, and right after they leave is when Meghan is moving in. For the first few weeks she’ll probably be crashing down in Cat’s room because Toby doesn’t move out until the end of June. When he moves out there will be some room switches, then Meg can be settled, then Cat comes back and it will be July! Ah!


Cat, Miguel and Sveta on a new love seat.

In the midst of all this we may have a few couch surfers who are other friends of mine staying in the District doing internships or who are otherwise looking for housing and coming up short right now. Life, man!

Things out at the WYG are going great. It’s such a dreamy place! It is hands-down the highlight of my week, every week.


Some fresh picked asparagus!

Well, so that quickly covers work and home life. I am also becoming more involved in a group called DC Food for All and a little less so Save Our Safety Net DC. You can catch little glimpses of me from yesterday’s rally at City Hall where we created a human safety net in this video which also features my friend/program-mate Vince. It’s so great to be getting more involved with what’s happening in DC but at the same time I am starting to really miss being in touch with issues surrounding the anti-genocide movement. Last week I went to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on Sudan where Special Envoy Scott Gration testified and I realized how much I miss it. Is that weird? I just feel so intellectually stimulated by human rights / peace and conflict issues and I don’t want to lose that. It’s the fire inside me!

The more I think about all these things, the more confused I get about what I want to do once November 1 rolls around. I need someone to talk everything out with and help me define what I’m going for a little more clearly. Volunteers?

Oh, did I mention that I got poison ivy (or poison oak or sumac, but what's the difference in the end?) from a service day cleaning out the back yard of a new DC organization's office... and that Mayor Fenty stopped by my house last Friday night when I was having a potluck with friends? I'm hopefully going to blog somewhere else about the interaction with Fenty, I'll try to update here when I do. In the meantime, here's a picture of me getting involved with poison, then posing with the Mayor in my living room.



Be looking out for a vegan-related post; I’ve been eating some yummy stuff lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers