Thursday, February 25, 2010

General Tao's Tofu

When I was snowed in earlier this month I tried out this recipe I found on VegWeb, an awesome recipe site that's a lot like allrecipes.com but for vegans. I learned a lot from my first go-around and tried it again tonight with pretty much total success. Here's my version:

1 box extra firm tofu, frozen, defrosted and cubed
2ish tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 of a medium red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 small can of water chestnuts
1 1/3 cups vegetable stock (I use bouillon)
3 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons red wine (I used Cabernet because it was around)
2 tablespoons white vinegar (I used regular white and white wine vinegars)
2 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 4 tablespoons water
steamed broccoli and asparagus

Preheat oven to 400*F. Spread cubed tofu over an oiled baking sheet and sprinkle a little Braggs over them. Cook for ~20 minutes or until the tofu has reached your desired consistency.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic, pepper and water chestnuts. Don't burn the garlic! Once the onions are becoming translucent, add the stock, Braggs, sugar, cayenne, wine and vinegar. Stir together for one minute and then add the corn starch/water mixture. Stir well and simmer for a few minutes, then add cooked tofu and reduce the heat.

Serve with steamed broccoli and asparagus over your choice of starch (we had pearled barley tonight but it was also great with brown rice) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers